8.14.2015

Darren Ruddy at the MFS Talent 2015 Fashion Show, Edinburgh

With just one day to go until the Metropolitan Fashion Show’s Designer Talent 2015 catwalk show in Edinburgh, we speak to young Scottish designer Darren Ruddy about his collection, his inspirations, and where he's sees his brand in 5 years' time, in the third of our Designer Interviews series.

What is your brand, Darren Ruddy, all about?
The brand is about creating affordable luxury designs, finishing to an industry standard. The cut, silhouette, fabric and prints are my four essential components. I like to juxtapose different fabrics and textures to create a wardrobe that’s interchangeable.

Sum up your new collection in one sentence.
My new collection is a fun, modern A/W 15/16 collection with a 90's feel to it.

What do you think makes your brand, and especially your new collection, unique?
The brand is in its infancy, and my consumer has a wide age range which I feel is important.


Who/what are you inspired by?
My gran, Sandra Potter, has been sewing since she was a little girl. She has custom made wedding dresses for people, knitting, sewing. She's a woman who can basically do everything with a sense of calm and finesse. The sewing bug skipped a few generations but I'm glad I have found a passion I love.

What advice do you have for new designers looking to launch a collection of their own?
This is the stage that I am at currently. I do feel it’s easy to get distracted by what’s out on the catwalks for each season which can curb your edge, but the one key piece of information I have taken from college and university is 'you’re only as strong as your research', especially first hand recorded research.

What does MFS Talent 2015 mean to you? Why are you excited to take part?
It's a fun, talented team of individuals who come together and merge to create this opportunity. Being part of the team for the second time around, I admire each and every person involved and the outcome is always to the highest quality.

Where would you like to be in 5 years’ time?
I’d like to have a small business online, with limited pieces for each season and hopefully be successful.

Where can we see you next?
I am currently researching some textile applications, putting my HND in Textiles to some use and continue designing garments with a commercial, yet unique appeal.


You can see Darren's whole collection on the catwalk at the Talent 2015 fashion show tomorrow! You can still buy tickets for the MFS Talent 2015 show here, or visit the Talent 2015 event page for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment